In my movie after he see’s all these birds he gets obsessed and he seems to think he is one. There are 2 dream sequences one of which where he is running through a beach where human statues erupt which are all wearing bird masks, I want to make one which is very simple but effective, a lot like the ones a plague doctor would wear in the 1600's. this symbolizes the boy is sick, mentally.
I wanted the human bird statues to have wings which I was planning to buy from 'poundland' as when filming this it was around Halloween time, sadly I couldn't purchase any in time, so my friend (and diploma student) Luke Beech lent me a long black cloakHere is the ORIGINAL script idea;
SHOTS OF A RAINY STREET, IN THE DARK, BIRDS FLUTTER ABOVE
BOY ASLEEP, ROLLING AND GROANING
DREAM- HE IS RUNNING THROUGH A BEACH, STATUES ERUPT FROM THE SAND, THEY CHANGE INTO BIRDS
THE DREAM BUILDS UP AS HE RUNS FASTER AS BIRDS SCREAM OVER HEAD, THEY GET LOUDER AND LOUDER HE FALLS INTO A PIT, HE CANT HERE ANYTHING EXCEPT BIRDS HE DIGS INTO THE SAND TO ESCAPE AND FINDS A BIRD BURIED IT IS A RAVEN, MUSIC STOPS AND HE WAKES COVERED IN FEATHERS
HE RUNS TO THE WINDOW AND SEE’S THE SAME RAVEN AS BEFORE TRYING TO GET IN, HE PANICS AND RUNS DOWN THE STAIRS INTO THE GARDEN TO SCARE THE BIRD AWAY , THE GARDEN IS ALL DUG UP AND COVERED IN WORMS, HE SLIPS AND BIRDS FLY DOWN TO FEAST AS THE WORMS CRAWL ON HIM
HE WAKES AGAIN, REALIZES IT WAS A DREAM*
SHOT OF CALENDER, SCHOOL TRIP CIRCLED, GETS CHANGED AND GOES DOWN STAIRS. FAST SHOT OF EATING BREAKFAST, ETC AND WALKS TO SCHOOL, MISSING A NOTE ON THE FRIDGE SAYING “MENTAL HEALTH CHECK UP –DOCTORS APPOINTMENT TONIGHT- LOVE MUM**” QUICK SHOT TO SCHOOL, TEACHER ANNOUNCES TRIP TO BIRD SANCTUARY, BOY STARES, DRAWING BIRDS IN HIS SCHOOL BOOK. HE DAY DREAMS OF RUNNING THROUGH A FOREST BIRDS FLYING OVER HEAD.
HE GETS ON THE SCHOOL BUS, SITTING ALONE. SUDDEN SHOCK AS A BIRD HITS THE WINDOW SQUAWKING, THE BOY PANICS
WHEN THE BUS STOPS, HE RUNS OFF AND THROUGH THE WOODS SEEING BIRDS. EVERYWHERE HE GOES, HE HEARS MORE AND MORE BIRDS, HE SEE’S THEM EVERYWHERE, UNTIL EVENTUALLY HE CLIMBS A MOUNTAIN, WHEN HE REACHES THE TOP HE IS A BIRD. HE JUMPS THROUGH THE AIR.
FADE TO BLACK.
THE BOY IS ON THE FLOOR, NOT A BIRD. POLICE CAR’S AND AMBULANCE’S SURROUND WITH RED TAPE AS HE IS SECTIONED OF, BLOOD TRICKLES OUT OF HIS EAR.
THE END
(Everything underlined will hopefully be filmed at Formby and wherever else we go on that trip)
* When he wakes up there is a note on his bedside table saying “doctors check up tonight, don’t forget. REMEMBER” there will not be a direct shot, so people will have to look close for it
** I do not want to name the mental illness; it’s up to the imagination
I do not want to many hint to the illness as I don’t want the whole film to be about this, I don’t want it to obvious, I want people to really guess. The film is about DREAMS and REALITY, the whole film revolves around a boy who doesn’t know the difference, and the end brings it all down to earth.
Due to filming restrictions and the trip to Formby in 2 days when this was written I had to change the idea a little, so it was easier to film. here is the FINISHED film idea:
The film starts with Ben having a nightmare, where he is on a beach full of bird like figures, he closely inspects a few but runs after seeing their sinister bird masks, after being chased by one of them, he walks up with a shock and gets out of bed drearily suddenly he sees a bird tapping at his window he panics and watches in terror when he suddenly awakes again he is in shock not knowing if he is dreaming now or not, he slowly calms when he realizes he has a nice school trip to look forward to that day, he gets changed and goes down stairs to get his breakfast, he doesn’t notice a bird following him. He leaves in a hurry when he notices the time and misses a note from his mum telling him of a mental health check up that night. He walks to school, hopping over a gate, when he see’s a flock of birds over head, he runs the rest of way. When he gets to school the teacher tells them the trip is to the Bird Sanctuary in Formby and he panics again, and asks the teacher if he was joking or not as he had a really weird dream about them, the teacher tells him not to worry as they are surely not following him, this audio bite will play again at the end. He walks down the corridor when suddenly the weather changes a bolt of lightning strikes the school and he is thrown to the floor. A figure dressed in a extravagant cloak walks down the corridor, he has giant wings and a hideous melted face, he is a bird. Behind him are other bird figures dancing and laughing. The Bird figures tells Ben to join them as he holds out a bird mask, Ben weeps and they disappear. The teacher comes in telling him to get a move on. He stays silent on the school bus as his friends try to talk to him. A bird taps at the window, and in a mad panic he runs of the bus to find himself at the same place of his dream. He seems to think he is a bird now, he runs through a wood panicking at this revelation, his friend Luke chases after him. Ben notices a hill, and if he is a bird, he can fly! He climbs to the top and see’s birds flying around him. He is NOW a bird, dressed in a long black cloak and mask, in fact he is the bird figure from before. His teacher see’s him at the top of the mountain and screams after him. Ben laughs manically and jumps and after a long painful fall and roll down he reaches the bottom, dead.
The bird figure with the melted face will be made for my artwork, which I am working on now. The birds dancing behind him will be wearing masks kindly donated by the Drama department. The Human figures masks on the beach and the bird prop its self were made just in time to film at formby, in my next blog post will be a log of the making of these props.
Main Film Influences
Gormley:-Statues
-Still Images
-Space between reality and dreams for the boy
-The bird figure its self
Hitchcock:
-The film "The Birds" Which has swarms of birds
-Type of shots
-Slow pans
-Fast action shots
Lynch:
-Bizzare Idea's
-Innocent thing turned evil
-Crazy/New shots
-Ending doesn't necessarily make sense
-Leaves you feeling confused and shocked
Magritte:
-Surreal forest
-Surreal artwork for DVD cover
Soundtrack
For my film I want not so well known scores from films people won't necessarily know, because during the screening of my film I don't want people distracted thinking "Oh listen that's the Pirates of the Caribbean music!" etc. I want some Twilight music as I have the sound track and it is very good, maybe some doctor who and torchwood music as they are very well produced by the wonderful Murray Gold. In the end scene I want a Marilyn Manson track as he is my favorite artist, ever. He is often misunderstood and his music is dramatic, heavy and thought provoking, well his old stuff is anyway.
So far I have filmed all the Formby Scenes, home scenes and most of the school scenes. I need to complete my art work so I can film the corridor scene, once I have completed it I need to film the Bird figure in front of a green screen and incorporate this into the Formby scenes. I need to carry on editing my film and produce a DVD cover.

No comments:
Post a Comment