David Lynch
Born: 20th January 1946 in Missoula, Montana
Died: N/A
He is famous for writing and directing what can only be called "David Lynch movies," which include crazy/mad storylines and a mix of the surreal
Lynch is also a photographer, musician and painter... His daughter, Jennifer Lynch, wrote and directed the 1992 feature film ‘Boxing Helena.’
His first film, Eraserhead (1976), became a cult. This caused Mel Brooks to ask David Lynch to direct The Elephant Man (1980) he was nominated for an Oscar.
His next film was unsuccessful (1984's version of Frank Herbert's classic sci-fi novel ‘Dune’)
But he became popular again with ‘Blue Velvet’
By now he was very well know and ventured into television, most famously for a Calvin Klein commercial and for the series Twin Peaks.
His 2001 film Mulholland Drive earned him another Oscar nomination for Best Director.
My review of Mulholland Drive:
Originally intended as a TV series, yet the ABC saw his pilot and told him to leave.
After an exciting car crash a confused brunette (she has no name, as she can’t remember it, but she later adopts the name Rita) stumbles into the life of Betty Elms, a would-be actress just off the plane from Ontario. With no memory of who she is, or why she has a purse full of money and Betty's help, she sets out to rediscover her identity. And then things get really weird. There is no point explaining this rest of the film as I don’t understand it myself. It includes a monster hiding around a diner, a pair of creepy old people, a lot of lesbian action, a few dead bodies and a box which changes EVERYTHING. As soon as you think you MIGHT understand it, the whole story changes and the characters are all different people (including Rita is now the awakened dead body). I think the film has the desired effect on me as for weeks afterwards I was searching the internet to find out what happened, I re watched the film trying to pick out every little detail e.g. the color of the lamps. I never did find out what happened.
I also watched DUMBLAND which was very different to what I expected, and very shocking, after some research I could not find any conventions of Lynch, but with my own experience the conventions I found are NONE of his films are ‘normal’ they are all surreal and aimed to mess with your head, it worked.
Sunday, 17 January 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment