Sunday, 17 January 2010

Anthony Gormely.

Antony Gormley

Born: 30 August 1950

Died: N/A

He is an English sculptor. His best known sculpture is the Angel of the North.
He is the youngest of seven children, born to a German mother and an Irish father. I found out a lot about him when we watched a video in diploma, we saw a lot of his work, we also visited Crosby beach where I did a lot of filming and ‘Another Place’ is there, ‘Another Place’ is a piece of modern sculpture by Antony Gormley. It was due to be moved to New York, United States in November 2006, but there was a controversial proposal to retain the work at Crosby. They are now staying there forever. The piece is based all around space, they are all spaced out and looking to sea, they can never communicate with each over yet they are so close, I found it very interesting. There are 100 figures and at low tide they are all visible, but at high tide you can hardly see any, the ones submerged are experiencing ‘another place’. Number 72, has a lead role in my film!




^ Please watch the video above ^

Other Works:
Field ('91)


Angel of the North


Sound II

This is my personal favorite as I love the idea of it being in a church it really makes it mystical and quite scary, the figures are praying but it makes you wonder, praying for what? the building is full of water and it just scares me.

No comments:

Post a Comment